भारतीय कृषि अनुसन्धान परिषद - कृषि तकनीकी अनुप्रयोग संस्थान, जोधपुर : एक झलक
ICAR - Agricultural Technology Application Research Institute, : An Overview
The Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) is an autonomous organisation under the Department of Agricultural Research & Education (DARE), Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Government of India. Agricultural Extension Division is one of the Subject Matter Divisions where the major activities are of Assessment, Refinement and Demonstration of Technology/Products through a network of 669 Krishi Vigyan Kendras (KVKs). The Division of Agricultural Extension, ICAR, New Delhi is headed by Deputy Director General (Agricultural Extension) supported by 2 Assistant Director Generals. The thrust areas of Agricultural Extension Division are:
- Assessment, refinement and demonstration of technology/products.
- Training of practising farmers, farm women and vocational training for rural youth.
- Training of extension personnel.
- Single window delivery system for technology products, diagnostic services and information through, Agricultural Technology Information Centres (ATICs)
- Development of gender-specific technologies, and
- Creating awareness of improved agriculral technologies among the farmers.
- Technology Application, assembling and feedback
- Institution building and partnership
ICAR-Agricultural Technology Application Research Institute (ATARI), is one of the 11 ICAR-ATARIs formerly known as Zonal Project Directorates (ZPDs) functioning under Division of Agricultural Extension. ICAR has established a vast network of KVKs all over the country under the administrative control of various ICAR institutes, State Agricultural Universities (SAUs), State Department of Agriculture, Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) and other institutes for implementing the central governmental projects/schemes. In the Zone, 7 Agricultural Technology Information Centres (ATICs) are working for delivering the “Single Window” delivery system. Since, Zonal Project Directorate has been elevated as ICAR-Agricultural Technology Application Research Institute (ATARI), the mandates of ICAR-ATARI has also been changed where socio-economic research is one of the integral components.